I’m slowly starting to remember that at one point, early in my carer, I was a web developer… and a fairly creative one. I’ve been so wrapped up in the “data” for so long that the creative/arty/expressive side of me was being repressed. I’m slowly starting to recapture some of my creative side thanks to […]
This week’s data set came from the Netherlands, analyzing the vehicles purchased by their citizens. Because the underlying data was in Dutch, I went through the exercise of translating all the additional text in to Dutch as that would be my ‘expected audience’. Because the data is static, the translation in this instance is easy. […]
This week examined the Transport Sydney Ferries data, and the number of passengers, the class of ticket and the destination over a 6 month period. I was stumped when I first got the data and I wasn’t sure really what I wanted to do, but what I landed on I ended up really liking and […]
This week was another small set of data, and in some ways it was hard to tell if the skills fluctuated a great deal, or if the data set was incomplete. What I wanted to do was a chart that showed “Disappearing Skills” and “Emerging Skills” but it didn’t quite come together, so I went […]
This week we got to play with an enormous data set supplied by EXASOL; More than 700 million rows. The server was located in Germany and considering the size and distance you’d figure latency would be the death of this exercise. NOT SO. At one point I connected to my cell phone hot spot and […]
In 2008, Forbes published an article speaking about the correlation between Crude Oil and Gold prices. Thrown in to the mix by the MoM crew was the Consumer Price. Index. I opted to push interactivity, giving the user the option of which elements to compare, as well as showing the overall correlation, and the correlation […]
The Guardian published an article discussing the likelihood and potential impact of job automation. I liked the original viz, but I didn’t think it showed the true impact, which for me would be the number of people made redundant. So I tried to come up with a “Damage Ratio” which divided the Job Share, by […]
This week the data comes to us form Visual.ly and spoke to what people from different social strata thought was the secret to success. Originally, this was presented in a spider chart, but I opted for good old, simple bar charts. Because of the dark background I created a worksheet to act as the legend […]
This week’s data set was a great one on the NCAA Basketball tournament AKA March Madness. I decided to do a Team by Team analysis to see point differential and success per year. I really like the color palette, custom shape and overall flow of this one.
This was a fun one to Google… Simple dataset; simple viz. Some custom shapes was all it takes.